Monday, May 28, 2007

We're Having a Heat Wave

A lot of people ask us if it ever gets warm in Moscow and how warm it
might get. Well, here is an example. It is getting close to the end of
May and already the temperatures have been staying in the 70's and 80's
for the high of the day. Really it is not that warm yet, but I keep
reminding myself that it is only May - wait until August (will it be
higher than 100?). Unlike most places in the U.S., Moscow is not built for
warm or hot summers. Moscow is made for cold wintry weather that
exists about half the year, it never seems prepared for the heat which
exists 1 to 3 months a year. Therefore air conditioners are rare. More and
more businesses are getting them (still a low percentage over all), but
very few people have them in their apartments. Take our apartment
building for example. We live on the fifth floor. For the past week and a
half I have been keeping track of the temperature in our apartment.
With fans running and windows open the average temperature
has been 84 degrees Fahrenheit. This morning was actually a
wonderfully cool 78 degrees! I can't imagine how hot it is going to get at the
end of the summer for the people who live on the 18th floor! The
metro will soon be awful, there is no doubt about that. Last summer when
temperatures were in the 90's outside, I remember how miserable riding
on the metro was -millions of people crammed in together with
temperatures exceeding 100.
It is funny though that by February we are all desperate for
warm weather- ready to be free from the freezing winter. Then when
summer comes comes - winter sounds so good. So, in response to the question
- yes, it actually gets hot in Moscow.

2 Comments:

At 1:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

John,
A week ago yesterday, our congregation, Immanuel Lutheran Church, Broadlands, IL, chose to support you as our T. I. M. Mission Partner.
We are a rural congregation now 130 years old, somewhat declining as fewer people live in the area, but still having babies -- two last week alone -- trying to reach out to the unchurched in our area here. (Four non-infant baptisms in April.)
Could you give us a physical mailing address that we could put in our monthly newsletter, where people might send greeting cards, etc.?
We plan to publicize your birthdays and anniversary, and there may be some who would like to remember you on those days in a tangible way with a card.
I have been reading your blogs -- still a concept I have not quite grasped -- yes I am a Luddite -- and find your accounts fascinating, especially the one from Germany. My wife Karla and I just celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary with a two-week trip to Das Vaterland in May.
You can reach me here at
allanlynn41@yahoo.com
Our physical address is
Immanuel Lutheran Church
390 County Road 2400E
Broadlands, IL 61816
Now I am so technologically challenged that I don't know if you will even see this, but I don't find an e-mail address anywhere in the information I can find on the web or in the material sent from synod, so this is my best shot at present.
The Lord's blessing to you.

Lynn Podoll
Pastor for Immanuel

 
At 7:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon and Julie!

I am not sure if this will be a successful way to contact you or not, but here goes......... I am a member of St. Peter's Lutheran in Columbus,IN. My mom grew up in Seymour and if I do get in touch with you all, I have a funny story about Julie's dad. Anyway, St. Peter's is hoping to take a team to Almaty, Kazakhstan next June. Do you have any advice, ideas, etc. for me? We are teaming up with a family who has worked in Kaz for many years. I actually speak Russian and hope to use this gift for the glory of God.

Please let me know if you receive this.

In Christ's love,

Julie Jordan
zolindasue@sbcglobal.net

 

Post a Comment

<< Home