Saturday, September 02, 2006

Herzliche Grüße aus Deustchland!!

Translated, that means in German "Heartfelt greetings from Germany!" I am writing this blog in the apartment of my boss, Brent Smith, in Oberursel, Germany. Yesterday we left Russia for Germany for a multipurposed trip. First, this will be the first time in 3 months that I am able to meet with my vicarage supervisor, which is nice to be able to do. While we talk to each other regularly, nothing beats talking face to face over a nice German beer! The other reason why we are on this trip is that our Russian visas are expiring on the 5th, and unfortunately, Russia does not allow foreigners to renew visas in Russia. Instead, we must go to a country that doesn't require us to have a visa and apply at the Russian embassy there for a new visa. Which, of course, is taking us to Helsinki, Finland.

Finland? Yes, Finland. Why, you might be wondering. Well, we are right now situated just outside of Frankfurt am Main, and the only Russian embassy in Germany is in Berlin. So, I first thought that Berlin would be where we would go. After looking into taking a train to Berlin, I found that it was only a small price difference compared to flying to Helsinki, and it takes more time. Plus, we found a place to stay in Helsinki for only $10 a night, an absurdly low price, which actually makes it cheaper to go to Helsinki. And, as Helsinki has been the place in the past where people from our mission go to renew their visas, we know our way around the city, and know the procedures there, etc. Thus, Helsinki it is!

But, now, back to Germany. I haven't been back to the U.S. since going to Russia last fall. We were in France, for a few hours, on our way to Africa in July. But, besides that, most of the places I have been to have been former USSR countries. Well, coming into Germany was an enterance back into a familiar world. Perhaps it is because I know German, perhaps it is because I have been here before, perhaps it is because Germany is just such an advanced country, but it is SO NICE to be here. It also could be because Oberursel is a quiet little suburb, and yet it still feels 1st worldish. What I mean is that Moscow is pretty much comparible to a big U.S. city. But, once you leave Moscow, you really see the drop off in living conditions, economics, quality of life, etc. But here is a small town that is equal to, or even more advanced, than small towns in the U.S. It is green, well-groomed, quiet, and overall quite nice. But, it is expensive--that is for sure!

Yesterday was another new experience for me: ATM malfunction. We were at the airport in Moscow, and I tried to pull some $$ out of the machine. It said that the transaction was complete, and that I should take my money, but it never came out. Yippee! Not much I could do until I arrived here last night, then I called the bank back in the US and am now in the process of challenging the charge on my account. I am interested to see what will happen--will I get my money back?

Well, anyways, greetings from Germany.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home