Today in Moscow
Did you see the news in Moscow today? Here is a link to the article. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060223/ap_on_re_eu/russia_market_collapse
Now, the article says that it was because of the "wet snow had fallen much of the day Wednesday and overnight." Well, in the past, when I read such articles like this, for example when the roof collapsed in Katowice, Poland, a few months ago, I always kind of just thought that when the weather is blamed (lots of snow, for example) then that must be the case. Well, as someone who lives in Moscow, I can say that there hasn't been that much snow--about 3-4 inches last night--though it was indeed wet and sticky. It makes me wonder more about the roof design than anything else. Or, that this building didn't pay people to remove the snow, which is a very common practice here. Almost every day, some part of the sidewalk is taped off while people push the accumulated snow off the roofs. Plus, I wouldn't be too surprised if corners were cut to save some money.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home