Monday, November 14, 2005

Sedora Day

Today is Sedora Day, so says Olga, my language instructor. Who is Sedora? Well, that is something I am not quite sure of, because everyone I talked to was not quite sure who he (I am pretty sure it is a he) is. Perhaps a saint of the Orthodox church (and thus today would be his saints day), and as there are numerous saints in that church, it is surely a possibility.

Anyways, Sedora Day is a day passed down in Russian folklore, similar to our Groundhog's Day. I was told that if it is snowing to day, then it will be a cold and long winter. If not, well, then we will have a "warmer" winter. Now, though I am glad that it wasn't snowing today, I am not sure how to know what a colder vs. warmer winter would look like. Who determines what a warmer or colder winter in these parts is like? What I mean is this: while it has only snowed once so far this winter--thus qualifying as a mild October/1st half of November--it hasn't really been "warm." Highs are in the 30's to low 40's and lows are in the 20's--and it isn't even December yet! THUS, while this might be signs of a "mild" winter for Russians, for the rest of the world it is still pretty darn cold!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home