Saturday, November 05, 2005

Our American Encounter

Today we were wandering around Tver, doing a bit of shopping, visiting the large outdoor weekend bazaar (which is quickly becoming one of my favorite locales in the town), getting my hair cut, etc. when we stumbled upon an American. He was actually quite easy to spot, as he was speaking in English (a rarity in these parts) and if that weren't enough, he was dressed like the typical American. He was even wearing a Cal Bears hat!

Well, as we walked by, I stopped dead in my tracks and said, "You're American!?!?!" We struck up a short conversation, just like Americans who don't know each other can do, just because of the unusual nature of our encounter. I turns out that this man, who never did give us his name, is in Tver visiting his girlfriend, who happens to be an English teacher--though I don't think she works at our school. Now, this man was standing with a Russian gal (who wasn't his girlfriend, but one of her friends) who was in her mid to late 20's, I'd guess. This man was 60 at least (or else he has had a very hard life).

"What gives?" was my first thought. Then I remembered watching something a while back in the States about how there are lots of women from this part of the world who are joining dating services that aim to connect them with American men. I remember watching the program which showed the middle aged men hooking up with much younger women, usually with the intention of marriage.

Now, is that what we stumbled upon today? I have no idea. Maybe so, maybe not. But, it did get us to wondering if that was the case...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home