Here it comes!
So far, the Russian winter hasn’t been too bad, with the major exception being the annoying ice that is still on the streets. Today, in fact, was pretty miserable, since it snowed just enough to give the false impression that it was somewhat safe to walk on the ice. In fact, it was actually a bit slicker, if at all possible.
Well, the weather forecast for the next 4 days or so has the high at about -6 F and the lows into the teens (-15 to -19). So, the coming of “real” winter is upon us, which meant that I finally today broke down and bought a scarf, something which up until now I haven’t really needed. Unfortunately, the other thing that I had to buy was a new knit cap. Just about a week and a half ago, I was coming home, and I took off my cap (as best as I can remember, though I am not positive about it) in our stairwell before walking up the 4 flights of stairs. Well, I guess that the cap fell out of my pocket. It was a major bummer to me, because I bought that cap all the way back in 1997 in Dublin, Ireland, when my friend Mark and I first got to the island, only to discover that it was much, much colder than expected. So, when Mark and I toured the Guinness factory in Dublin, I bought a cool cap: it was black, with a toucan balancing a Guinness on its bill. Very original, and it always reminded me of Ireland and that trip. Well, now it is gone, and in its place is a very warm, yet rather ugly and altogether forgettable cap. I am now on the prowl for a special cap with something cool about Russia on it. So far, unfortunately, most of the caps being sold are with western companies (Adidas, Fila, or Nike on it). Perhaps I will get a sports cap with a Russian hockey or soccer team on it. But, for now, staying warm is the name of the game.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home