Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Russians would make great poker players...

One thing that I have forgotten about living in this region of the world (for Julie and I found this to be true in Poland as well) is that when we walk down the street, people either look at you with blank faces (hence, I think that they would be great at poker) or they have scowls on their faces. I don't know why exactly this is--whether it is the general Slavic disposition or a contribution of communism or the level of formality within their culture or what--but I do know that it is quite a shock to the system after living in such a warm society as America. Every now and again as I am walking down the street, I make eye contact with a person (another rarity) and perhaps give him/her a smile--which of course is not returned. For me, as an American, that can be an unnerving experience.

But, let me also say this: I think that there is a direct contrast in how our two cultures interact. Here, on the street people are gruff, standoffish, and rather detachted from those around them. BUT, if you know the person, they are quite warm and friendly to you. In fact, I think that Russian people (and Poles as well) are generally more sincere friends--or even acquaintances for that matter--than people are in America. Of course this is a huge generalization, but in America I have often found that people are what I would call "superficially friendly." That is to say, a perfect stranger next to you in a line at Walmart might strike up a conversation--something that rarely happens here. But, my feeling is that people here are more willing to bend over backwards to help you--as long as you know them. So far, we have had several instances of mere acquaintances (such as Jaroslav taking me to the market to help me shop) doing things which are quite unexpectedly generous.

So, let me end this blog of cultural generalizations by posing this question: Is it fair to say that Russians are more friendly than they appear and that Americans appear more friendly than they are? Any thoughts?

1 Comments:

At 1:15 AM, Blogger Brian & Erin said...

Deep thoughts by Jon Muhly... Brian and I really love your blog. It keeps us so well informed of life there and gives us a peek into your new world. Thanks for publishing so frequently. You all are always in my prayers. By the way, who told David he could get so big???
Erin West

 

Post a Comment

<< Home